Monday, October 30, 2017

Where has the Time Gone???

Hola Familia!

Como esta? This week has been amazing! Last P-Day we went to the Miami Zoo, which was super fun! We took lots of pictures :) We also had Zone Conference on Wednesday, which was great, as always. President and Sister Garns also came and spoke in our Sacrament meeting yesterday, and taught the 3rd hour for the 5th Sunday. He shared the new 2 minute video produced by the Church about all these different people around the world and how the missionaries found them, it is amazing!!! Especially to see as a missionary, seeing that there are so many people and families that have been found through full-time missionary and member missionary efforts, even through knocking, it made me cry!!! You ALL need to go watch it, there is such a special Spirit when you do.

We had the Ward Trunk-or-Treat this past Saturday night, and though we had investigators commit to come, they weren't able to :( We taught a young family on Monday, the moms name is Sonia and her 10 year old daughter Malayzia, 4 year old Jasmine, and 2 year old Mason, and they all came to church yesterday, including the Dad who we hadn't even met yet!  They've been looking for a church to attend, and we showed up on their door! The two girls have parts in the Primary Program now on the 19th :) Malayzia loves church, she is so cute!

Emily overslept and couldn't make it to church, but is still super solid for her baptism on the 11th! We taught her at a members on Thursday and at the chapel on Friday :)Love her!

Sister Garns wants to put together a book with a bunch of missionary stories from working in the Keys, so I'll include whatever I end up writing in my email home for you all to enjoy, haha.

This is a [art of the email from our Mission President this week, I love it:

Here is an interesting true story about Elder Jeffrey R. Holland told by his wife Patricia T. Holland.

While working on his Ph.D. at Yale University, my husband got to know well one of the senior reference librarians who had given him valuable help researching for his dissertation.
On a whim one day, he said, “Ilene, I need to know how many books we have in either the Sterling Memorial or Beinike Rare Book Libraries that claim to have been delivered by an angel.”The librarian gave him a peculiar look (but my husband has always received peculiar looks) and said, “I don’t know of any books that have been delivered by angels. Swords maybe. Or chariots. But I don’t know of any books.”
“Well, just run a check for me would you? It may take a little doing, but I really would like to know. It would help me with some religious writing I am doing.” (Now, please understand that Yale has the fourth-largest library in the nation, with nearly 9,000,000 volumes in its collection.)
Ilene dutifully did some checking. For several days she had nothing to report, but then one day she was all smiles as my husband strolled by to his carrel.
“Mr. Holland, yoo hoo,” she said, very unlibrarianlike. “I have a book for you. I found one book which, it is claimed, was delivered by an angel. But it’s one from your people,” she said. (She always spoke of Latter-day Saints as my husband’s people, which probably meant she had him confused with Wilford Woodruff.)
“But it’s one from your people,” she said, and she held up a paperback copy of the Book of Mormon. “I’m told you can get them for a dollar.”
“My word,” she continued. “An angel’s book for a dollar. You would think angels would charge more, but then again, where would they spend it?”
Have we really considered the majesty of our message? The Book of Mormon is a miracle, and combined with the spirit is our most powerful resource in conversion. I continue to hear more and more accounts of our missionaries successfully using the Book of Mormon in their finding and teaching efforts. Read it, study it, love it, apply it in your life, and you, as well as all with whom you share it, will be blessed.

Love,
Hermana Stokes

Pictures:

Some of the Games from the Trick-or-Trunk 

No comments:

Post a Comment