Monday, September 18, 2017

Hurricane Irma recovery/Mormon Helping Hands

Hola Familia,

So I only get a few minutes today, as our P-Day is this Friday because we still get to go to the temple!!!! I am SOO excited! Several zones will not be able to go this transfer because of the Hurricane, and I am so grateful to still be able to go on the 22nd. It's a miracle in and of itself!

So, what everyone wants to hear about--Irma! We can't find her anywhere, haha! We had several mission-wide conference calls leading up to the evacuation a week and a half ago. Everyone in our mission was evacuated to secure chapels. We went Friday night to the Kendal chapel with several other member families and our whole zone. It was super fun! We played volleyball until 3pm on Saturday because of the risk of the steeple falling through into the chapel/gym(it didn't!) and then played some board games, card games (not face cards! ha) and tons of Mafia. Haha, it was really fun. We used some of our water storage, but not too much, because the water was safe to use until the power went out. We lost power all day sunday, it came back on later that night I think, and then we lost it again Monday night. Haha, it came on in the middle of the night and woke us all up. I turned the light on, and Sister Harris turned on the AC. Comp Unity! We all felt really gross after not being able to shower for several days, so our chaperon, Brother Gorman (a member from the Coral Reef ward) rigged us up a shower in the men's bathroom! It was awesome! He pulled the hose in there and we even got hot water! It was an experience I will never forget! I loved how close we got as a zone, and now we get to go to the temple all together, it'll be great!

So we and the Snapper Creek YSA sisters didn't have power but everyone else did by monday-ish, and there was a curfew at 7:00pm because of looters, so we all stayed another night except for the Sunset sisters. The next day (I think) we went to sunset, and stayed the entire week with them because we never had power at our house. We got back just yesterday, and it feels so good to be back home! The house is completely fine, even without shutters, we just have twoish trees down in the back.

I absolutely love service! I am running out of time, so Ill have to write more about it next week, but I love being a part of the Helping Hands! We will do it again next weekend. Oh my goodness, we went to the Keys on Sunday, practically  all the way to Key West (we got to mile marker 10! Key West starts at mile marker 5) and the damage is BAD. I took lots of pictures on the drive down and back, Ill send them next week. The military is still there, the curfew was at 4 and now its at 7, and they are very serious about the looters. It is so sad. But the few people we were able to help were in tears of gratitude, I just felt so much love for them! I can't wait to keep helping them, but we are going back to the normal missionary schedule now.

I love you all so much, have an amazing week!
Love,
Hermana Stokes

No comments:

Post a Comment