Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Hurricane Irma

Hola Familia!

    So, you all have probably heard this, but there is a Hurricane on the way! Hard to believe when you look outside and its all sunny and peaceful, but time will tell, ha. We had to go to Walmart this morning at 6:30am to make sure we got all the supplies we would need, and the water was STILL ALL GONE. It was a sight to see. I'd like to see how empty all the shelves are by Friday. Don't worry, though! We still got water :) We went to 7 Eleven and picked us some jugs and two cases of water bottles, I think we are all good! (They went fast after that, BLESS) Plus we always have emergency water in the house. Thanks for all the prayers for safety! I am sure they will and already are coming in handy! God is so good! No matter what happens, if Irma hits or It doesn't, I know the Lord's work will continue to roll forth!
    Anywho, no hurricane will stop us! Except when committing people to church and their very real excuse of not coming this Sunday is because of Irma...Ha. It's great. We have to pack all of our stud today in case we are evacuated, or just put it on the highest selves we can (I call the fridge! Ha) It'll be an adventure, it always is.
    Miracles for this past week! Luis Espinoza (LA) came to church! He absolutely LOVED IT! There is such a sweet spirit around him, I'm such a dork, I can't help but smile to see him coming back! His wife Leyla would have come, but she had a bad fall on Saturday and was home resting. He loves the Gopsel so much, and KNOWS it's true! I was leading the music and could see him from up front, and he was smiling the entire time! After Sacrament meeting, he told us he felt so clean and good, it was amazing! We are going over to their home later this week to eat dinner with them, We are super excited. We had two other Less Actives/Returning Members at church, it was awesome! We knocked into one of them a few days ago, Sister Fernandez, and she said she was going to teach in Primary that Sunday. We found out on Sunday that one of the councilors in the Primary had reached out to her, told her that she missed her and that they needed her, and she came and taught! I know that there are so many members of the church who have fallen away for one reason or another, but I promise you that as we work together to reach out to them, share with them our love, we CAN and WILL bring them back! When we knocked into her, she also had who two cute twin 11 year old daughters come and meet us, and she said Kayleen really wanted to come to church, and that they were both not baptized, right there on the doorstep! Haha, it was great!
     Something interesting that happened on Sunday, too, but first a back story. So, we texted a member on our ward list that we didn't really know, Sister Viecco, a week or so ago, wanting to meet with her. We didn't get a response, but at church yesterday she introduced herself to us after sacrament meeting, and her son was there, AND I KNOW HIM. UM, WHAT? Never saw that one coming! His name is Derek and he was up at school with Steff and I, and he was on our World Dance Team😂 We went over to their mother's house yesterday and ate with them, haha. It was interesting, but fun.
    That's about what is going on right now, we also had interviews with President Friday, which was awesome, love him! Oh, we had a Sisterhood Conference yesterday morning after the mission-wide conference call about the Hurricane, and it was soo good! The Spirit was so strong, I absolutely love being a missionary! I have never worked harder in my life, but I have also never been happier or closer to my Heavenly Father and my Savior. It is just amazing! I can feel myself changing into something I never even imagined before, and I know God will continue to help me learn and grow, and help me be the person He needs me to be to help His children here on Earth. He can and WILL help all of you, too! Don't give up on Him, because I know He never gives up on us. Something that I've been thinking about a bit lately is something Elder Holland said in a Stake Conference from the Jupiter Zone, and that is that God loves broken things. To me, I feel such a sweet and tender Spirit when I think about that, and I can't help but feel God's love for me, as imperfect and weak as I am. King Benjamin knew his weaknesses, but trusted so completely in God's power and His love, and I can testify that I know He is there for us.
   I love you all so much! Have an amazing week!
Love,
Hermana Stokes

No comments:

Post a Comment